Fall, the time of year when many homeowners are prepping to enjoy their outdoor living space. What better way to enjoy this space than snuggling up to a warm and cozy fire. The options for enjoying roasted marshmallows and mulled wine around the fire are now endless. Choose from, Stone, Brick, Wood Burning Grills, Copper Bowl Fire Pits, Fire Pit Tables, Tabletop Fireplaces, and Gel Fueled Logs. Styles, sizes, and materials abound, base your choice on the space you have, your budget, and local ordinances.
Before you break out the ingredients to make some delicious s’mores, here’s a list of safety reminders to keep in mind.
Fire Pit Safety Reminders
- Keep in mind that many communities require that fires are a minimum of 10-feet distance from your house and your neighbors’ yard
- Wind direction should be checked before lighting a fire
- Flammable fluids (lighter fluid and gasoline, etc.) should not be used to light or relight fires
- Don’t wear flammable clothing (like nylon) or any loose-fitting clothing.
- Children and pets should be kept at least 3 feet away from the fire.
- Keep a fire extinguisher, garden hose, or bucket of water nearby.
- Never leave the fire unattended
It’s also important that you know how to safely dispose of the ashes when you’re done with the fire for the night. Once the ashes have cooled, putting them in a metal container and pouring water on them is highly recommended.
Here’s to safely enjoying fall and all of the favorites that come with it including a beautiful outdoor fire!