Deck safety is not always at the top of the list for homeowners. How safe is your deck? If you’re like most homeowners you probably think your deck is structurally sound but you’re not sure.
Why is it important to be concerned about deck safety? It’s an important question because each year there are thousands of people who are injured on their decks. These injuries are usually the result of decks collapsing, railings breaking, or staircases snapping. These are all deck issues that can cause inspections to fail.
Here are some interesting facts about deck failure:
- More decks collapse in the summer than during the rest of the year.
- Most decks collapse well they were occupied or under a heavy snow load.
- More injuries are the result of rail failure, rather than complete deck collapse.
- Deck stairs are often known for lacking graspable handrails.
- 90% of the debt collapses occur because of the separation of the house and the deck board.
Inspecting and checking your deck should not be overestimated. By conducting an annual deck inspection and making all necessary repairs as soon as possible, you can rest assured that your deck is safe for your family and friends all year long.